Locating a Parent

How to Help Us Locate a Parent

The Montana Child Support Services Division (CSSD) has access to many tools to find where a parent lives or works. However, it is still important to have case participants share information with the CSSD. If you have information to share please contact the child support office working your child support case, in person, by telephone, by email or by regular mail. Some examples of information that may be helpful include:

  • Full name and other names that may be used
  • Last known address or phone number
  • Last known employer name, address, and phone number
  • Social Security Number
  • Birth Date
  • Any driver's, occupational, or recreational license information (such as fishing or hunting)

If a parent moves to another state to avoid paying child support, there may be other options available that you can discuss with the investigator working your case. 

Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS)

The FPLS is a national system operated by the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement to assist in locating noncustodial, putative fathers, and custodial parties to:

  • establish paternity.
  • establish, modify, or enforce child support orders.

Learn more at the FPLS Website.