Do you have trouble hearing on the phone? Enjoy clearer conversations with a Captioned Telephone from Montana Relay!
Also known as CapTel®, a Captioned Telephone works just like a standard telephone—with just one important difference: it displays easy-to-read captions of your conversation as you listen.
How CapTel Works
- The CapTel user dials the number of the person he/she wishes to call. The CapTel phone automatically connects to the captioning service.
- Once connected, the CapTel user speaks to the other person, just like he/she would on a standard phone.
- As the other person responds, a CapTel Operator uses the latest voice recognition technology to generate captions of what is being said.
- The CapTel user can listen to what the other person is saying while also reading the captions on the phone’s built-in display screen. Captions appear in near-real-time.
All that is required is a CapTel phone, telephone service and a high-speed Internet connection (WiFi or via Ethernet cable). The captioning service is free*, 100% confidential, and available 24/7.
Getting A CapTel Phone
There are three easy ways you can bring a CapTel phone into your home or office:
- Apply for a no-cost CapTel phone through the state. If you are a Montana resident, you may be eligible to receive a free CapTel phone on loan from the Montana Telecommunications Access Program (MTAP).
- Apply for a no-cost CapTel phone from Hamilton CapTel. You can also apply for a free CapTel phone directly through CapTel by completing their Third Party Certification Form. This is a good solution if you are not currently a Montana resident or do not meet MTAP’s other eligibility requirements.
- Purchase a CapTel phone for just $75. All purchased CapTel phones come with a 90-day guarantee—if you are not satisfied, return your CapTel phone within 90 days of purchase for a full refund! Visit our preferred third-party seller, WCI, to get started.
Web CapTel displays what your caller says on your computer screen, while you take the call from any telephone. No special equipment or software required! Visit Hamilton Captel® to learn more.
*You are responsible for paying your monthly telephone and internet bill to your chosen service provider. Long distance rates may apply according to your telephone service.
CapTel is a registered trademark of Ultratec, Inc.
- Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
- Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)
- Upcoming Events
- IL Training Resources
- Contact Us
- Useful Links
- Policy and Documents
Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS)
Montana Telecommunications Access Program (MTAP)
Disability Determination Services
Qualified Sign Language Interpreters
Contact Disability Employment & Transitions