Vital Statistics Analysis Unit
The Vital Statistics Analysis unit (VSAU) collaborates with the Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) and the State Registrar to collect and analyze data on vital events in Montana. This unit is not responsible for issuing birth or death certificates. Visit the Vital Records site for all inquiries related to obtaining a copy of a birth or death certificate or matters related to these certificates.
The Office of Vital Statistics maintains accurate and timely registration of vital events. These data are essential individuals, families, public health officials, researchers, and genealogists. The first function of the OVS is to receive and process legal documentation of all vital events, and to maintain and issue certificates of events to persons legally entitled to receive them. The Office of Vital Statistics also creates comprehensive electronic files of these events. The resulting datasets are analyzed by state, federal, and private sector investigators in accordance with state and federal privacy statues.
The VSAU, located in the Office of Epidemiology and Scientific Support, analyzes vital statistics data and releases regular and special reports, which can be accessed below. Vital Statistics surveillance systems are a key component of the efforts by the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services to monitor and improve the health and safety of Montana citizens.
- Alcohol-induced Deaths Among Montanan's Aged 25 years and Over, 2000-2019 (May, 2021)
- Provisional Leading Causes of Death and Other Select Causes in Montana, 2015l-2020 (July 2021)
- General, Age-Specific, and Total Fertility Rates in Montana, 2010-2019 (Dec, 2020)
- Covid-19 Associated Deaths among Montana Residents, Provisional Data March-October 2020 (Nov, 2020)
- Percentage of Deliveries Each Hour in Montana, 2012-2016 (May, 2018)
- Veteran Suicide in Montana, 2013-2016 (Jan, 2018)
- Trends in Infant Mortality, Montana 2006-2015 (Oct, 2017)
- Prescription Opioid Poisoning Deaths in Montana, 2000-2015 (Aug, 2016)
- Drug Poisoning Deaths in Montana, 2003-2014 (Apr, 2016)
- Multiple and Underlying Causes of Death Using Montana Death Certificates, 1999-2014 (Dec, 2015)
- Pregnancy-Associated Mortality: Assessing the Effectiveness of the Pregnancy Check Box and Vital Records Linkage using Montana Death Certificates, 2004-2013 (May, 2015)
- Suicide in Montana: Evidence from Death Certificates 2004-2013 (Feb, 2015)
- First Births To Older Mothers Increasing (Dec, 2014)
- Under-Ascertainment of Alcohol Involvement in Vehicle Crash Deaths on Montana Death Certificates, 2012 (Jul, 2013)
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Bed-Sharing in MT, 2003-2010 (Aug, 2012)
- Pregnancy-Associated Deaths in Montana, 2003-2009 (Apr, 2011)
The Montana Vital Statistics Analysis Unit provides custom statistical requests, death index files, and data for researchers. For a current list of services, fees, and ordering instructions, see below.
If you need additional information please contact: