Work Readiness Component (WoRC)
(TANF Employment and Training Program)
WoRC provides intense case management services to TANF cash assistance participants that focus on employment and training activities leading to self-support. WoRC also assists participants with a defined physical and/or mental disability in the federal disability benefit application process.
- Placement of participants in unsubsidized private sector employment;
- Placement in unsubsidized public sector employment;
- Retention of participants in unsubsidized private or public sector employment;
- Increase in participants earnings due to unsubsidized employment; and
- Reduction in number of families receiving TANF cash assistance.
- Assist families to become self-supporting;
- Create employment opportunities, through case management, which assist the participants to achieve their individual employment and/or alternative to public assistance reliance goals;
- Provide case management and supportive services to assist participants in obtaining employment;
- Provide case management for six months after an individuals case closes due to employment; and
- Maximize available funding to optimize community coordination and prevent duplication of resources at the local level.
The local Office of Public Assistance begins the process. When a family applies for TANF cash assistance, the OPA caseworker completes an initial assessment for the households adult members. Based on the assessment, the OPA caseworker sends an electronic enrollment referral to the WoRC operator. This electronic referral constitutes official enrollment in the WoRC program. The WoRC operator engages the participant in meaningful activities as of the enrollment date by providing priority appointments (within 3 days of the electronic referral) for activity planning.
WoRC Program Highlights are:
- Intensive case management
- Assessment and employability planning
- Supportive services
- Job readiness activities and training
- Job search
- Job skills training and educational activities
- Work experience
- Job development and placement
- Assistance for disability related applications
- Outreach and intervention processes designed to increase program participation.