DPHHS Home       About Us       Contact Us       News & Events       Programs & Services       Health Data & Statistics

A - Z Index

Early Childhood Services Bureau Best Beginnings Quality Programs CACFP HeadStart School Readiness STARS

Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarships


The Early Childhood Services Bureau offers “Best Beginnings” child care scholarships to qualified low-income families whose child receives care from a licensed child care center, registered group or family child care home, or legally certified child care provider. Each family participates in the cost of that care by making a copayment based on a sliding fee scale.


Scholarships are available to working families whose income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines and families who get cash assistance through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Child Care Scholarship Program
Contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for further information and to apply.

The program helps to pay for care when parents are not available to care for their children:
  • During working hours;
  • During school or training hours, if meeting work requirements;
  • If they are a teen parent attending high school; or
  • If they are a parent receiving TANF who is participating in family investment agreement activities.

Child care scholarships are available if the applicant is a working caretaker relative with children receiving TANF child-only grants.

Best Beginnings Scholarship Application Packet
In English
En Espanol

Best Beginnings Provider Portal

Use the Best Beginnings Provider Portal to:

  • Access Provider Rights and Responsibilities Agreement
  • Access Online Invoicing

Best Beginnings Scholarship Brochure

Eligibility Criteria for Montana’s Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarships

Legally Certified Provider

Montana Child Care Sliding Fee Scale

Civil Rights

If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of race, national origin, ethnic background, sex, religious affiliation, or disability, you have a right to file a complaint.

To file a complaint of discrimination contact:
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
1961 Stout Street - Room 1426
Denver, CO 80294
(303) 844-2024; (303) 844-3439 (TDD)
(303) 844-2025 FAX



Patty Butler, Chief
Early Childhood Services Bureau
DPHHS, P. O. Box 202925
Helena MT 59620-2925
or call toll free 1-866-239-0458

Back to top

Page last updated: 05/29/2014