Children's System of Care (SOC) Planning Committee
The Children’s SOC Planning Committee was established by statute in 1993 (52-2-301, 52-2-303,52-2-304 MCA) to develop an integrated service system for children under age 18 who are seriously emotionally disturbed (SED), at risk for placement in an out-of-home setting, and needing the assistance of more than one state agency. The statute was updated in 2001 and 2003to further describe a children’s System of Care and to define the duties of the planning committee. In 2007, the Children’s SOC Planning Committee became two subcommittees: 1) The Children’s Statutory SOC Planning Committee and 2) the Children’s Community SOC Planning Committee.
The Children’s SOC Community Planning Committee is made up of approximately 30 members who represent family members of youth, Native Americans, advocacy groups, mental health providers that serve young people and community members. The Director of Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS) appoints the members.
The Children’s SOC Statutory Planning Committee is also appointed by the Director of DPHHS and includes the members required by statute plus those added by the Director.
The Children’s SOC Planning Committee duties include:
- Developing policies aimed at eliminating or reducing barriers to the implementation of a system of care;
- Promoting development of a quality array of core services in-state so that SED youth can avoid out-of-state placements;
- Encouraging development of the infrastructure of the system of care by encouraging development of local interagency teams.
The Children’s SOC Community Planning Committee meets quarterly in Helena. For more information, contact Kandis Franklin, Children’s Mental Health Services, 406-444-6018 or KFranklin@mt.gov.
- SOC Community Planning Committee May 30th, 2013 Meeting Minutes
- Report on the MHOAC Mental Health Focus Summit - May 22, 2013
- SOC Community Planning Committee Feb. 21st - 22nd, 2013 Meeting Minutes
- MHOAC: Montana Health Oversight Advisory Council
- SOC Community Planning Committee Feb. 2nd-3rd, 2012 Meeting Minutes
- System of Care Community Planning Committee Membership list